Home-Start Stroud District & Quedgeley can offer you support through a home visiting volunteer or at a Group Start group.
We may be able to help you by offering you a volunteer if you:
- live in the Stroud District area or Quedgeley
- have one or more children under the age of 5
- are going through a difficult time in your life
There are many reasons why you may need us. Perhaps you are:
- feeling isolated, maybe with no family nearby and struggling to make friends
- suffering with post-natal depression and maybe finding it hard to talk to anyone about it
- having a hard time coping with your child’s illness or disability
- being affected by the death of a family member
- struggling with the emotional and practical demands of twins, triplets or children under 5
- finding it hard to cope with relationship difficulties
- feeling exhausted or depressed
- coping with your own illness or disability
If we think you qualify for our service, a carefully selected and trained volunteer, who has parenting experience, can visit you regularly for 2-3 hours a week in your own home. Our volunteers are there to offer emotional and practical support which is based on what we together agree would be helpful. Our support is flexible and responsive to your needs and can include:
- being a listening ear or someone to talk to
- adult company
- helping and playing with your children
- help to find out about and access other local amenities and services
- encouragement and motivation
- practical help
If you are a parent looking for support you can contact us directly or contact your GP or Health Visitor to refer you to us or if you prefer . The information you provide will help us ensure that the support you receive is appropriate and effective. Telephone 01453 297470 to talk to someone about support.
Once we receive your completed referral form we will contact you and arrange to visit to discuss what issues your family is having to deal with, what support is needed and how we may be able to help you. Home-Start Stroud District & Quedgeley is an independent and confidential volunteer service – we only support you at your request.
Find out about attending a Home-Start Group
We are now offering support to parents through our Group Start programmes at different locations throughout the Stroud District and Quedgeley: Best Start offers a programme of 6 group sessions for families with a child(ren); Bump Start offers a programme of 6 group sessions for expectant parents; the Mothers in Mind drop in group offers support to mothers who need support with mental health over 6 sessions and the Forest Green Family Fun drop in group runs twice a week term time only at the Arkell Centre in Nailsworth. For further information on the current programme see our Group Start pages.
If you would like to talk to someone about the groups telephone 01453 821085.
Find out the results of the Mothers in Mind Project.
Find out more about Support in Kingsway/Quedgeley.
Next: Make a Referral